Hugs From God Missions
With a Population of nearly 10 million people, the Republic of Haiti is one of the poorest countries in the Western Hemisphere. 80% of the population lives UNDER the poverty line! Most Haitians live on only 2$ per day and the country is ranked 163 out of 188 by UN human development index.
- 2/3 of labor force do not have jobs in the struggling economy
- 90% of primary schools are nonpublic and managed by religious organizations and NGO's.
- 80% of teachers are not trained and some resign to work for free or only $1000/year
- Nearly 2/3 of the population is illiterate.
- Only 59% of youth have completed primary school by the age of 24
- Less than 40% have access to drinking water.
- Life expectancy is only 49 yrs for adults
- Infant mortality rate is 55/1000 live births
- 59/1000 children will die before their 1st birthday
- Estimated 1 in 285 births will result in the mother's death (16x higher than the US)
- Only 4.18% of population will reach the age of 65 years or older, the average age of live persons is only 22 years old.
- 2.2% of the population is affected by AIDS, one of the highest in the world with bacterial, protozoal diarrhea, Hep A and Hep B, typhoid fever, malaria, dengue fever, and Zika are common